Friday, August 30, 2013

El Paso - August 2013 Mini Family Reunion

I spent the weekend in El Paso this past weekend.  I had to be out there for work and was able to parlay it into a visit with the family.
Any trip to El Paso always starts with a trip to Chico's Tacos.  They are so delicious!
 
I mentioned to my sister and my cousins that I was going to be in El Paso and we were all able to get together for lunch that Saturday.  This is by no means the entire clan but here we go...On the left starting in the back is Madison, Destinee, Nadia, Dahlia, Kevin, Tres, Lupe and me.  On the right starting in the back is Kennedy, Harper, LJ, Ryan, Atticus, Mom, Nino, Charmaine and Javier.  Mi familia.
El Paso is certainly the place to get good Mexican food.  The tortilla soup was awesome.  I believe that's a serrano pepper!
After lunch back at the house, it's time for pictures.  My sister has to leave.  It's always good to see her.
Two best friends, Harper and Kennedy.
Me and my buddy, Atticus.
A selfie with Harper is always entertaining.
My sister and my cousin, Lupe.
  
Lots of cousins! Nadia, Lupe, me, Tres, Charmaine, Destinee, Madison, Atticus, Ryan, Harper, Kennedy and LJ.
 
Me and my sister and our cousins. 
Charmaine, my mom and Angie.

After my sister and her family left, my mom, Angie and I took a drive.  Mom calls them "boogie rides".  This is the house that my great-grandfather built.  My mom and her cousins grew up here.
Anthony sits right on the state line between Texas and New Mexico.  On our drive around, we crossed over into New Mexico.
 
As soon as we crossed over into New Mexico there was this:   The cotton fields with the back drop of these gorgeous mountains.
We passed lots and lots of pecan groves.  Here the trees grew over the road to make a nice little tunnel.
We came across a winery in Las Cruces.  The Rio Grande Winery had a tasting room so we stopped to taste.
The view from the back patio of the winery.  Breathtaking.
 
The mountains can be seen from everywhere and they are always pretty.  This is from the parking lot of a restaurant.
My last day in Anthony and my mom, Angie and my Nino took me to lunch at a local joint called Ernesto's.  Going there with my Nino was like having lunch with the mayor.  Everyone knew him!  This is the combination #1.  Oh my God!  It was so good.  

While I do enjoy visiting, I don't think I could live here.  With all the delicious food, I'd be the size of a house!  Still, I had a great time with my family.
These are the ladies that started it all.  My great-grandmother Carmen in the middle and her four daughters:  Carmen, Antonia (Angie's mom), Julia (my grandmother) and Piedad (my Nino's mother).






















No comments: