Monday, May 24, 2010

Cincinnati, Ohio/Covington, Kentucky

I'm on the road again. This time I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio. Well, technically, I'm in Covington, Kentucky. My client is across the Ohio river in Cincinnati. I've never been to this part of the country. When we were flying in, one thing that I noticed was that there were no fences around the houses. Being from Texas where everyone has at least a 6 foot fence around their property, I found that to be odd.


As I mentioned, I'm staying on the Kentucky side of the Ohio river. I'm right on the river and I've got a great view of the Cincinnati skyline. The Great American Ballpark, where the Reds play, is just across the river. So is Paul Brown Stadium (I always thought it was called Riverfront Stadium) where the Bengals play.
This is the view from my hotel room window. That bridge is the Robeson bridge. The guy that did this bridge also did the Brooklyn bridge. This bridge is closed to street traffic but I was able to walk across.

I got there early on Sunday afternoon with my boss. So we wandered around a bit. We walked over to Newport, Kentucky, which is kind of like a mini river walk and had a snack and then we walked across another bridge further up the river to Cincinnati.
Along the water on the Ohio side, they had this weird little display. When steam would come out of the pipe it would make a sound. All the pipes were going off making a kind of jungle noise. Pretty cool.
This is the Great American Ball Park where the Cincinnati Reds play. Apparently (and I found this out the hard way) when the Reds score a home run, a cannon goes off in the stadium. If you aren't ready, it will scare the crap out of you!
This is a view of the Kentucky side of the river. The second building from the right is my hotel. We walked around downtown Cincinnati a bit and it got kind of weird so we took a cab back to the hotel and turned in for the night.
A view of the Cincinnati skyline at night.

The next day we met with the client and then David left. I stayed behind to work on the presentation that was coming up on Thursday. One of the things that David was telling me about was an area called Mainstrasse. From what I could gather, this community was once a German settlement. Main street is a quaint little area where they have shops and restaurants.

I thought it would be cool to go over there and so I headed out of the hotel in what i THOUGHT was that direction.
In my wanderings, I came across this church. It's the Mother of God Church. It was organized in 1841. It was a German parish - the second in Covington. The actual church was built in 1871. Amazing. I finally got wise and pulled out my iphone so that I could figure out where the heck I was going. Once I got headed in the right direction, I came across these row houses that were on Main street. I thought they looked really cool.

I wish I could have a had a tour. I ended up finding where I was going and I was back at the hotel before dark.
Oh yeah! Apparently this town was on the Underground Railroad. They had a whole museum and everything but I never made it over there. They closed at 5:00
That night I found out that the Reds were in town when I heard this loud explosion. I looked out the window and the stadium was all lit up. That night, they had a lot of home runs.

The next day, I stepped out for lunch. I had every intention of going to the gym but I decided to head over to Cincinnati instead.
On the Kentucky side, they have these murals painted on the buildings along the river. This was my favorite.
Another view of downtown Cincinnati. In this one you can see Paul Brown stadium to the left.
Here's a view of Newport Kentucky from the Ohio side of the river. This is where they have a nice complex of restaurants and shops.
Luicius Quinctus Cincinnatus - I assume this is who the city was named for.
When you travel alone and you want to actually be in any of your pictures, you have to get creative. This is me with a view of Cincinnati across the river. I'm a fan of the Reds, at least while I'm in the city.

After that, it was back to my room and back to work. This is where I lived for the week I was here.
This was before the room got that 'lived in' look.

On the day before my presentation, about 5 pm, there was an announcement that we all needed to evacuate the building. The manager was very calm and he asked us to please leave in an orderly fashion. About 5 minutes later, he came on again and said there was a minor emergency, would we please evacuate the building. So I gathered up my stuff - laptop, backpack and purse - and started walking down the 11 flights of stairs with all the other guests.

As we came to the second floor, the manager came on again and was much more panicked this time and said, I need everyone out of the building. We all hustled out of there...across the street. We were all looking on trying to figure out what the heck was going on. The fire department pulled up and parked (no siren). The guys climbed out of the truck and the were all standing around talking. At some point they all went in dressed in full gear. About 45 minutes later, they came out and said we could all go in. The rumor was that it was a bomb threat.

I felt like a mother hen. Are you sure you checked everywhere? Did you look in all the closets? How were they so sure that it was safe when they were only in there an hour?!? Then I thought, I really don't want to make this presentation in my skanky shorts. So, I figured, you gotta go sometime and I went back in the building. Luckily, the firemen were right.

So on my last night there, I watched the sunset. It was really pretty to see on the water.

No comments: